Kidneys along with liver play a huge role in detoxifying our body. All the blood of our bodies passes through these kidneys and they in turn, filter the blood and remove all the toxic waste while liver is a dump yard for toxins to alter them and make them less toxic for kidneys to remove. Kidneys excrete these waste products in the form of urine. Even if 90% of the kidneys lose their functions, it is still possible for the person not to suffer problems. This article on home remedies for kidney stones will help you prevent any damages to your vital kidneys as well as will give you ways to deal with your kidney stones.
Read: 10 Foods Good For Liver
However, many people suffer from the highly painful condition known as kidney stones. Kidney stones are hard, crystalline stone like structures that are most commonly made up of calcium. They can also be made up of compounds like oxalate and phosphate. They develop within the kidneys and cause a lot of pain to people with this condition, while they try to pass urine. Here, are some home remedies for kidney stones that can help you along with your doctor’s prescription medication. But before this, we will discuss as to the causes kidney stones.
What Causes Kidney Stones?
- Dehydration is one of the leading causes of kidney stones.
- A person who is athletic or does strenuous exercise for weight loss or building muscles and do not drink enough water are also prone to develop kidney stones.
- Urinary tract infection and metabolic problems can also lead to this.
- People who suffer from gout have a high amount of uric acid present in their blood which ultimately gets filtered through the kidney and results in uric acid stones.
- Hypercalciuria is a condition in which excess calcium is present in the urine and leads to the formation of calcium stones.
- Hythyroidism, diabetes and blood pressure problems also increase the risk of having kidney stones.
Hyperoxaluria is a condition in which high levels of oxalate is present in the urine and leads to formation of oxalate stones.
Symptoms Of Kidney Stones
People who suffer from kidney stones have excruciating pain in the back or lower abdomen. It has been described as pain worse than child birth and they change their body positions to try and relieve themselves from this pain. They also have severe nausea and vomiting. If they have infection, they will also have fever and chills. Also, they have bloody urine, testicular pain, urinary urgency and penile pain.
If you have someone that shows all these symptoms, they should visit a doctor without further delay.
Best Home Remedies For Kidney Stones
1. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is a helpful remedy in many diseases and also helps in curing kidney stones. It helps in reducing the size of kidney stones and helps to flush them out. These home remedies for kidney stones are a great way to reduce the severity of the condition. Take apple cider vinegar as soon as you wake up in the morning, in the afternoon and then in the evening and this will give the best results. Also, taking 2 tablespoons of this everyday to prevent the re-occurrence of kidney stones.
2. Kidney Beans
Kidney beans are great home remedies for kidney stones to take care of them naturally. Kidney beans are low in oxalates and are high in proteins and fiber. They help in relieving the pain of kidney stones so; you can take the pods and boil it in hot water for about 6 hours. After this drain the water and eat this throughout the day.
3. Nettle Leaf
Nettle leafs are the one of the best home remedies for kidney stones. They help in smooth urination by maintaining the flow of water through the kidney and bladder. They also help in preventing the formation of kidney stones and are a natural diuretic.
- Boil water and add two spoons of nettle leaf to this hot water.
- Then leave it for about 10 minutes after which you can strain it.
- Drink this nettle tea for several weeks, at least 2 to 3 cups per day.
Watermelon is known for it’s high water content and also contains potassium. The people suffering from kidney stones made up of calcium and magnesium phosphates can benefit from eating watermelon. It helps maintaining the acid level in the urine and helps to keep the harmful waste flushed out.
Basil is a natural diuretic and people with kidney stones can benefit from this herb. It contains oils and acetic acid that are necessary for the breakdown of the stones and reducing the pain during urination.
- Crush 10-15 fresh basil leaves and make a fine paste.
- Then strain to extract the juice and to this add a teaspoon of honey.
- Drink this every morning and continue this for months.
They will breakdown the stones and also prevent the re-occurrence of new ones. Chewing basil leaves everyday is also an alternative.
6. Lemon & Olive Oil
Lemon is acidic and inhibits the formation of calcium containing kidney stones. Also, olive oil which helps to reduce friction of the kidney stone while they pass through the tubes and thus reduces the pain. Lemon and olive oil help to not only breakdown the stones but also allow easy passage for flushing out the kidney stones.
- Take an equal portion of lemon juice and olive oil and dilute it with distilled water.
- Drink it every day and repeat this procedure for at least 2 to 3 times a day.
Parsley is a herb and has rich sources of Vitamin A, B and C. Also, it has minerals like potassium, copper and thiamine which help as a detoxifier to the kidneys.
- Take fresh parsley and boil or add to hot water.
- Then let it cool for a few minutes after which you can strain it.
- Drink the juice repeatedly until the kidney stones are completely flushed out.
Celery is a detoxifier and a diuretic. It is one of the natural remedies for kidney stones. Drinking celery juice every day can greatly help flushing out the kidney stones.
- Make tea out of celery seeds and drink it repeatedly ever day for several months.
Pomegranate seeds as well as the juice are highly beneficial. They have astringent properties and can help as one of the home remedies for kidney stone.
- Drink fresh pomegranate juice daily to help treat this condition.
- Also, using fine paste of pomegranates in horse gram soup can also be highly beneficial.
10. Bran Flakes
Bran flakes are a great source of fiber and help to get rid of stone forming elements like calcium and oxalate. Using bran flakes in your diet can help reduce the occurrence of kidney stones.
Chicken contains good amounts of Vitamin B6, which is necessary to prevent the formation of oxalate stones in the kidneys. Eating chicken soup or any other type of cuisines containing chicken are great home remedies for kidney stones.
12. Dandelion Root
Dandelion root is a natural tonic for the kidneys and helps improve digestion.
- Boil two spoons of dandelion roots in water.
- Allow it to simmer for a minute in a pan and cover it with a lid.
- Then let it stand for 40 minutes and strain and drink the tea.
- Do this repeatedly every day.
Wheatgrass is a natural tonic for the kidneys and is a good source of magnesium, potassium, iron and amino acids.
- Take glass full of wheatgrass juice and add lemon juice to it.
- Also add the juice extracted from fresh basil leaves.
- Drink this 2 to 3 times per day for best results.
Magnesium supplements have been found to reduce the kidney stones to a good extent. And ingesting magnesium supplements or food containing magnesium every day can also help prevent re-occurrence of kidney stones.
Horsetail is an herb and is considered as one of the home remedies for kidney stones.
- Prepare fresh horsetail tea and drink 2 to 3 cups of this tea every day.
- Continue doing so everyday to flush out the kidney stones.
16. Whole Wheat Bread
Whole wheat bread is said to have a high amount of magnesium. Magnesium helps in preventing as well as reducing kidney stones. Thus eating whole wheat bread can be really beneficial to get rid of kidney stones.
Milk has high amount of calcium that would be thought to be risky for developing kidney stones. However, researchers have suggested that having a diet with low amount of calcium increases the formation of oxalate by the body. So, drinking more amount of milk lower the chances of developing kidney stones as to people who do not include enough calcium in their diet.
Treatment For Kidney Stones
Although above mentioned kidney stones home remedies may work effectively, in many severe cases doctors may advice you to undergo treatment by following ways. Hence when following home remedies for kidney stones it is important that you also consult doctor.
Sound Waves That Break Stones
(ESWL) extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy creates sound waves that induce large vibrations. These vibrations for about 45 to 60 minutes cause the breaking of large stones into small stones and helps in inducing the kidney stones to pass easier through urine. These are highly effective kidney stone treatment. Although, due to pain patient is kept under anesthesia or sedated.
Percutaneous nephrolithotomy is a medical procedure in which an incision is done in the back and by the help of instruments and telescope, the kidney stones are removed. Patients are kept in hospital for 2 days after the procedure to fully recover.
In this case, a ureteroscope along with a camera is passed through the urethra. Once the stone is found, the doctors break the stones into small pieces so that it is easier to pass during urination. To prevent swelling and promote healing, a stent in placed in the ureter.
Parathyroid Gland Surgery
Parathyroid glands are located around the thyroid and sometimes, due to their hyper activity; they tend to increase the calcium levels in the body. This ultimately leads to the formation of kidney stones. Thus, when a tumor is formed in the gland it tends to increase the formation of parathyroid hormone. This makes it necessary to remove the gland and thus disabling it from producing more amounts of the hormone.
In this way, treatments are done for people suffering from kidney stones; either surgically or non-surgically. If you or someone you know is suffering from kidney stones, then its time to take action. Using these home remedies for kidney stones along with your doctor’s consent and medication, you can get rid of this problem once and for all.