The more you eat, the more you will crave. Being addicted to food is the inability of a person to abstain from eating and tending to overeat even when you are not hungry. Food addiction, although a prominent problem in society, is still not looked into as compared to other addictions. Being addicted to food can lead to various health- related problems like obesity, heart problems are just a few among other things. Scientists believe that compulsive overeating can play a huge role in obesity because in people it has been proved that the food affects the centers in the brain the same way as in cocaine and heroin. When people eat highly-palatable food, it causes the transmission of dopamine in the brain’s reward system (a pathway in the brain that gives feeling of pleasure and reward). If the person starts consuming more amounts of food, the less the food satisfies them. So their amount of food starts increasing so that they want to feel the need of satisfaction. At one point, they develop a tolerance to food.
Here, we will talk about signs on food addiction and the ways to control it.
Signs Of Being Addicted To Food
- The person’s ability to eat food even when they are not hungry.
- Eating to the point where they become sick.
- Become socially distant from people and tend to spend time eating/ bingeing food all the time.
- Headaches and insomnia.
- Problems with digestion.
- Suicidal attempts/ thoughts.
These signs should be taken seriously and should be immediately brought into the notice of a professional; because the consequences may even prove fatal.
Causes Of Food Addiction
Food addiction may cause due to a variety of problems caused by the society, family or certain psychological or physical illness. It may also be due to physical and emotional trauma that is currently occurring with the person or that may have occurred in the past. It is caused to people who have been victims to physical or mental abuse. Also, it occurs with people with a low self-esteem, people dealing with a loved one’s loss. Food is a way for the person to cope with the negativity that surrounds their life and thus this addiction is a serious problem and should not be taken lightly.
Food Addiction Treatment
- Developing a technique to cope with foods: This is the best way to start with. You can try to distinguish between healthy and unhealthy food items. If you feel the urge to eat without being hungry, try to control it or eat something healthy like vegetables or fresh fruit juice. This will not only help you to cope with your urge to eat but will also make you healthy.
- Meal plan & healthy living guidelines: Make a schedule of what you should eat and at what time. This will enable you to keep your diet under control and also not having the urge to eat all the time. Try to stick to your meal plan and it will help you in controlling your food addiction.
- Avoid eating unhealthy foods: Try to stay away from restaurants that sell you unhealthy food. Instead look for places or grocery stores that will give you healthy but tasty foods. This will slowly start decreasing your cravings for unhealthy food products.
- Get food addiction help by consulting a professional: While taking all the above measures, the most important way is to consult a professional. You will be in great need for medical advice and help. Professionals will not only help you to eat right but will help you to start your food addiction treatment.
When you are addicted to food, it is a severe problem and must be taken seriously. So if you feel that you are a food addict or on your way to become so, immediately consult a doctor. Food is a necessity but sometimes too much may lead to addiction and lead you to living an unhealthy life.