Trying to get rid of dandruff is a constant and a never ending process. A person with dandruff has an itchy scalp and is constantly trying to find home remedies for dandruff. It can make a person uncomfortable in public places because of the urge of itching due to an itchy scalp or have a lot of dandruff flakes visible on the hair. Dandruff can also lead to acne and other skin irritations and problems. So it’s essential to get rid of dandruff as quick as possible. There are lots of natural remedies for dandruff and these can be really helpful in getting rid of it completely. But first you should know the causes of dandruff.
- Dry Skin: People with a dry skin type usually are more susceptible to dandruff as compared to others. This occurs usually in winter and thus flakes appear on the hair.
- Not Enough Shampooing: It has been known that if you do not shampoo often then the oil and dried skin cells remain on the scalp. However, researchers doubt whether that could be a reason.
- Inadequate Brushing: Brushing is thought to brush off the dead and dried skin on the scalp. But people who do not brush adequately enough are more prone to dandruff. This leads to a dry scalp.
- Seborrheic Dermatitis: This is caused in people with oily skin. This occurs at many places on the skin including the scalp and leads to red and greasy skin with white flakes.
- Skin Conditions & Illnesses: People with psoriasis and eczema tend to have dandruff compared to other without these skin conditions. Also, people with Parkinson’s, strokes and heart attacks are seen to have dandruff as compared to others.
- Diet: Researchers have said that people that tend to have a low diet containing zinc, vitamin B and other essential fats are more likely to have dandruff. So maybe, if they have more of these vitamins and minerals in their diet can lead to dandruff cure for people suffering from it.
- Reaction To Products For Hair: People who use products that are not suitable to their skin or hair type tend to have a reaction to it leading to an itchy scalp.
- Yeast: People who are allergic to yeast tend to be more prone to dandruff. The home remedies for dandruff can help to reduce and get rid of this. Winter and cold air also makes the person more susceptible to it.
- Fungus: Fungus is one of the prime causes of dandruff. Dandruff solution is available in stores of many kinds to deal with this. Malassezia is a common fungus that causes this.
- Age & Gender: Generally dandruff occurs more to young adults and goes throughout until the middle age. Also, males are more susceptible to getting it rather than females due to hormones.
Home Remedies For Dandruff Treatment
Use Anti-Dandruff Shampoo
There are various types available commercially in the market. The shampoos are best if they have the following certain chemicals present in it.
- Selenium Sulfide: They help to kill fungi and slow down skin cell production.
- Zinc Pyrithione: This dandruff shampoo has fungicidal action that kills malassezia that is thought to promote dandruff.
- Ketoconazole shampoo: It has antifungal properties.
- Salicylic Acid: People with itchy scalp can benefit with it because it helps to shed dead skin cells and it gives best result if conditioner is used after shampooing.
- Coal Tar Shampoo: It helps in slowing down the process of dead skin cells.
Just make sure that these shampoos are suitable for your hair and skin type.
Baking soda is one of the natural remedies for dandruff. It has fine granules that can be gently rubbed into the scalp for getting rid of dandruff flakes. You can start getting results after several weeks.
Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil can be applied to the scalp. However, if it left on the scalp for a prolonged period of time it can cause allergies. Tea tree oil when added to your regular shampoo can help stop yeast growth and thus prevent dandruff.
Mouthwash has alcohol present as one of the ingredients. Alcohol is a bactericidal and fungicidal agent. So after washing your hair with dandruff shampoo; you can rinse with the alcohol-based mouthwash and helps in preventing yeast or other infections.
Coconut oils are natural remedies for dandruff as it can help prevent bacterial infections. Just massage a few tablespoons of this oil onto the scalp before washing your hair. Leave it on for about an hour and then proceed to wash. Do this for a few weeks and there will be a difference.
Salt is granulated and when rubbed on the scalp; it helps in removing the itchy dandruff flakes. Thus, massage it thoroughly into the scalp and then continue with a hair wash.
Olive oils are great as home remedies for dandruff. This when applied to the scalp hydrates it and moistens it. This helps in generating new skin cells and getting rid of old skin cells. Thus, this helps in greatly reducing and preventing dandruff.
Lemons are rich in vitamin C which is great as antimicrobial agents. Massage 2 tablespoons of lemon juice on to the itchy scalp and after 30 minutes rinse with water. This will help to balance pH and thus prevent dandruff from reoccurring.
Aloe vera treatments are great for dry scalp. It has antibacterial and antifungal properties which can kill all surrounding bacteria and fungus on the scalp. It also has proteolytic enzymes that break down the bacterial walls and make it easier to wash it away during a hair wash. Massage aloe vera gel into the scalp about an hour before washing your hair. This will get rid of dandruff and is completely natural.
Apple Cider Vinegar
It helps in balancing pH of the scalp. Thus, when diluted with water and applied to the scalp; it prevents yeast growth on the scalp and thus prevents dandruff and also gets rid of it. Making a mixture of apple cider vinegar with tea tree oil and applying it to the itchy scalp for 30 minutes before hair wash can give best results.
Eggs are rich in proteins especially the yolks and can be used to treat itchy and dry scalp. It is helpful in rehydrating the skin so applying two egg yolks on the scalp and leaving it in for about an hour after which you can wash it off. Although, make sure that it is washed off thoroughly as it has on odor and make your hair have a bad smell.
Fenugreek seeds have antibacterial properties and can help the scalp to get rid of bacteria or fungus that causes dandruff. Take two spoonfuls of these seeds and add it to two cups of water. Allow it to soak for 24 hours after which you can strain it. Rinse the hair after a head wash with this water and you will find your hair to be free from dandruff.
Ginger has anti-inflammatory properties that can relieve you from an irritated and inflamed scalp. Use freshly prepared ginger juice and by adding sesame oil to this; you can massage it into the scalp. These juices are widely used as home remedies for dandruff.
Basil leaves are good to fight off skin infections that can cause dandruff. Apply the basil leaf powder and amla powder on to the hair and allow it stay for 30 minutes. After which you can wash your hair and be dandruff free.
Unripe apples have Procyanidin B-2 which is great for hair growth and all apples have good amounts of minerals and iron in them. Apply unripe apple juice to the hair by massaging it evenly to the scalp. This can be done by mixing two tablespoons of juice and three tablespoons of water just before washing your hair. This will leave your hair healthy and the scalp rehydrated. Apples are great home remedies for dandruff.
Aspirin has anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties. Crush two aspirin tablets and make a powder of it and add it to the shampoo. Apply your shampoo and allow it to stay 5 to 10 minutes after which you can wash it.
Neem leaves are one of the best home remedies for dandruff. It has anti-inflammatory properties as well as anti-fungal properties. Take a handful of neem leaves and add it to 2 cups of hot water and allow it to stand overnight or for several hours. After which strain the liquid and use it to rinse the hair after your hair wash.
It has been thought that exposure to sun also can lessen the effect of dandruff. Usually, dandruff occurs in winter due to dry weather or due to the lack of exposure to the sun. Take at least 10-15 minutes of your daily schedule to go out into the sunlight but make sure that too much sunlight can also damage your hair.
Eating a healthy diet can also help boost your skin health. Poor diet causes a person to be more susceptible to skin infections. Eating vegetables, fish and lean meat can help your hair growth and make you less prone to skin infections. So, your diet can also act as one of the home remedies for dandruff.
Pepper & Yogurt
Yogurt has good bacteria which can get rid of bad bacteria as well as improve skin health. Pepper on the other hand, has anti-fungal properties and can kill fungus causing dandruff. Take two tablespoons of pepper and two tablespoons of yogurt and apply this mixture to the hair just before a hair wash. This will not only kill dandruff causing agents but also reduce hair fall.
In this way, the above home remedies for dandruff can make your hair naturally healthy and beautiful. So why go for harmful chemicals, when you have all the techniques present naturally. Not only eating healthy but also using natural methods for your body externally can also better your life.